Thursday, July 4, 2013

Musings: Women in Video Game Music.

Anyone who knows me is aware of my interet in women in music. Here I am in the summer teaching at an all girls performing arts camp.  I'm fascinated by the idea that almost all major players in music composition are men. I could easily name 10 men to 1 woman as composers, and I researched women composers for my DMA!

The same is true in many other areas of music. Women conductors are a rarity, as are women performers (I'm thinking major, touring personalities).  I don't know why. One of my favorite thing about opera is that both men an women have big roles, fame, personalities, etc.

And what of game music? So far, my studies would point to the same. Most game composers seem to be men. I'll know better in a few more years about this ratio, but from what I've absorbed so far, I'd say it's true.  What's interesting to me is that in the realm of game music studies, I'd say women are ahead of the curve. Alexander Brandon, George Sanger, Aaron Marks, sure, they're composers who've written books-- great books!-- about the industry and business. Every composer Aaron Marks highlights in his book is a man!  But in terms of scholars publishing, I'd say Kiri Miller, Karen Collins, and maybe even Kristin Jorgenson are some of the biggest players. Not that there aren't other folks, and definitely men too... But as I'm getting a feel for the field now the major establishment academically seems to be by women. Awesome. Of course they're ahead of the curve!

Just reflecting on that divide tonight for the holiday. Why is it?  Looking forward to getting to know about more of the players in the field, both men and women, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment