Thursday, August 22, 2013

Playing Games: DuckTales Remastered

The next game up in My Gaming Audio History is DuckTales, and when I was just looking for something about it, I saw that the Remastered version is out.  I haven't even pressed start yet, but sitting here on the title screen, I LOVE the fact that the first two bars that play are a sample of the original music.  Completely recognizable to me since I played this game so many times as a kid.  Then the music bursts into a modern sound, first a new drum track comes in, then more background instruments, suspended cymbal roll and: "DuckTales!" comes in with the full sound of modern gaming.  It's an historic audio montage in the opening seconds of gameplay.

I was going to try to go to bed early, but now I just might be up quite a while....

Update:  I've played DuckTales Remastered for a little more than six hours now.  I think the audio is very well done.  Incredible updating of the pieces, yet it stayed true to the original.  I like that there's voice acting, but feel at times that the voices sound as if they were recorded in a box.  That to me could've been improved.  The cutscenes also pulled me out of the gameplay a bit.  I loved how their background music continued to reference themes from the game music and the main theme, though.  It's a brilliant game that I've enjoyed.  I think it just goes to show that these old games are classics for a reason.  The gallery with music purchases is the perfect incentive to bring replay value to the game.  I couldn't stop playing until I had purchased all the music possible.  (The tracks made it a lot easier to do the next entry!)  Overall, a great update, particularly in the music area.  Well worth the time and purchase as I know I'll play it again.  And Vince'll LOVE it when he gets home!  

No comments:

Post a Comment