Saturday, September 7, 2013

Musings: The "Sound" of Gaming.

I've been thinking recently about the sounds of gaming.  For instance, when studying and preparing my opening lectures for my game music class, I was looking at some of the early games with no game audio.  For instance, Tennis for Two:


Tennis for Two is considered to be a "silent" game.  (Arguably, it's not even a video game, since all of the components are analog and not digital.)  However, from the video, I would contend that the gameplay isn't silent at all!  It's quite loud, in fact.  Even though the sounds aren't generated by the game, is scholarship going to consider the sounds of the mechanics of playing games?

A more modern example of this is when I play The Last Story.  My Wii is literally groaning under the stress of playing the game.  At times, the sounds of the game loading (or whatever it's doing) are as loud or louder than the on screen sounds!  There's no question that those sounds are part of the audio environment the player experiences.  I remember the same effect when I played Diablo II years ago.  Loading from the CD made sounds-- an when I played on my desk, these were amplified by vibration through the laptop into the desk!

My thoughts on this topic were confirmed a few days ago when I played the above Tennis for Two video for my class and asked them about the audio.  Several students replied about the sounds of playing the game.  These sounds are part of the players' soundscape.  Will scholars account for them as well as game audio in the game?  How?

No comments:

Post a Comment