Monday, February 3, 2014

Playing Games: Epic Mickey

I've been digging around through some "old" games that I messed around with but never finished, and I decided to pull Epic Mickey back out and give it another try.  So far I've really liked it!  The choice is a little bit dual purpose: I won funding to attend GameSoundCon this coming fall, which offers training sessions in Wwise.  Epic Mickey used Wwise for audio implementation (splash screen at the beginning!), so this is a chance for me to experience what's possible using Wwise from folks who really know what they're doing with it.  In the summer, I plan to play around with it, and in the fall, I'll be working on it with experts!

So far, I've been really impressed by two things musically.  One is the use of Mickey Mousing in the cutscene explanations at the beginning of the game.  Check out what I mean in the below video, starting around 52 sec.  When the cursor moves over the friend, the music becomes even more positive; when it moves over the monster, it quickly becomes "evil" sounding, moving the main motion into the bass.  Cute use of cartoon traditions to teach gameplay!



I also like how the battle music in the initial levels uses a demonic sort of "Small World" motive at times.  You can hear that in this video at 4:04- 4:55.




Do I also hear a little bit of Sleeping Beauty's Waltz occasionally as I explore?  Very clever James Dooley!  Looking forward to playing more of this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment