Monday, September 22, 2014

Video Game Music Class: Playing Games: A Link to the Past and NES Remix 2

One of the joys of teaching Video Game Music is that it often has me playing games or looking at game footage for examples of the current topics we're discussing.  In class recently we've been looking at the function of game audio.  What's the purpose of a particular sound?  How does where a sound is placed in a game determine certain features about it (i.e., menu music vs battle music)?

Over the weekend I got sick and had quite a bit of time to enjoy a few games.  One game that I replayed is A Link to the Past.  The music for that game is great!  I love the old games where voice acting was less prominent because music has such a powerful role to play in the storytelling and immersion.  Actually, what I was most struck by on this play through was in the credits of the game.  The ending is a lovely, long nearly 10 minute scene.  You hear themes from this game during these final scenes.  There's a particularly powerful moment that occurs around 7:43.  I've started the video at 7:00 in the timestamp below, but remember if you were actually playing, you'd have heard those 7 minutes before!


The impact of hearing the famous Legend of Zelda overworld theme as Koji Kondo's name appears onscreen is genius.   I'll have to remember if I ever score a video game to put my most famous sounds as my name appears as well!

A second game I've been playing around with is NES Remix 2 on the Wii U.  I can't find footage online that shows how the various games open as you play and progress, but perhaps there will be some up soon.  Or else, I can make a video to demonstrate.  In any case, when a new game opens for play-- say, Metroid-- the first thing you hear when the notice flashes onscreen is the main theme from whatever game has opened up.  Then, after you see your score for the level you just finished, you see the game open on the main menu and its main them plays again.  Definitely a cool use of audio as a reward in a video game.  This is probably much simpler and clearer to hear than describe, so I'll keep my eyes open for some footage that demonstrates what I mean.

This week in video game music, we're having a guest Skype session with Chance Thomas, and having a quiz later in the week.  I love the first quiz because it really lets the students (and me!) realize how much they've already learned.  More as the week progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment